Masjid al–Haram of Mecca also known as the Great Mosque of Mecca (Makkah al mukarramah), is a mosque that surrounds the Kaaba in Mecca, in the Mecca Province of Saudi Arabia. Hajj trace events from the lives of prominent prophets such as Ibrahim and Ismail (Find more in the “pure Islam” webpage) that happened in Mecca at an ancient time when there were pagan idols worshipped in mecca (Longer represented pure Islam).
This is why you would see the black stone (A black stone descended from heaven in Islamic traditions). This black stone in the eastern corner of the Kaaba is an Islamic relic. This Black stone dates back to the time of Adam & Eve in Islamic traditions. Another stone was used by the prophet Ibrahim to construct the al-haram in mecca at his time.
Photo by SHAHID ALI from Pexels
People standing in throbs in front holy Kaabah.
Another essential part of the hajj is to throw the local rock (Local rock from the ground) at the devil to honor Prophet Ibrahim (an ancestor of Prophet Muhammad PBUH from Mecca), which is why many European world explorations and authors of books in Princeton university press consider him an important figure in Islam and an Islamic Legend.
It is the dream of every Muslim of the Islamic empire and is considered one of the most prestigious acts in the Islamic tradition and an essential pillar of Islam to visit the holiest city to perform the pilgrimage Hajj or lesser pilgrimage Umrah at least once in their lifetimes. These Holy sites are in the cities of mecca and medina located in the Arabian Peninsula in Saudi Arabia.
Mecca was the home of the beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
The holy places Mecca & Medina and the holiest city of Mecca are considered to be the centre of the Islamic world located in the eastern corner of Saudi Arabia. Along with that a noble sanctuary where Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was born is also the religious centre of the Islamic world. The pilgrims visit these places from all over the globe including south Asia, east Africa, the middle east as well as southern Arabia (south Arabia) and the western region of the world.
Pilgrims come from all over the world to visit this great mosque in Mecca, the sacred mosque and sacred shrine of the Holy Prophet Muhammad not only for tour purposes but to perform the annual hajj pilgrimage just to wash off their souls every year. Authorities maintain proper documents for Muslim pilgrims to allow them to travel to the holy city of Mecca (Makkah al mukarramah) for Umrah and Hajj pilgrimage. These documents also cost money and are super important for Muslims to carry.
Hajj begins as pious Muslims travel all the way to Saudi Arabia (Mecca & Medina) arriving at the port city of Jeddah to enter mecca (Masjid al haram) and Masjid a Nabwi (Prophet’s mosque) which is the grand mosque created by the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) himself, contributing 8 billion riyals ($2.1 billion) to Saudi Arabia’s economy (as mentioned by Saudi Press Agency).
Pilgrims arrive and enter mecca passing the valley surrounded by al masjid al haram in the old city of Mecca to perform either the annual pilgrimage (hajj pilgrimage) in the Islamic month of the dhu al hijjah in the Islamic calendar or the lesser pilgrimage known as umrah.
Both the pilgrimages are of significant worth in the Islamic tradition and requires traveling to Mecca.
For anyone who is travelling newly to the city such as reverts might face issues understanding simple terms such as the word Mecca as told by many in different references has been explained in the encyclopedia Britannica blog as “Mecca is an old city in Saudi Arabia that was the birthplace of Prophet Muhammad and is the holiest city of Islamic tradition”.
The Word hajj [in Mecca] is explained by encyclopedia Britannica as “the pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia, which every adult Muslim must make at least once in their lives”.
Every year the Saudi government spends millions to maintain the holiest sites of Mecca & Medina including the holy shrine of the Prophet Muhammad, (near the mosque of the Prophet Muhammad in the holy Islamic city of Medina), masjid al haram in the holiest site and the old city of Mecca.
The Saudi government has always taken care of the holy sites in Mecca through the contemporary expansion of architecture, and city figured with special visits from the Saudi royal family in Mecca every now and then.
The Saudi government has transformed through the contemporary expansion of the old city centers of Mecca and has made amazing architectural changes at the sacred sites in mecca to ease up the fundamental Muslim practices of most pilgrims. Ancient Mecca was surrounded by the deserted ground but by the work of Saudi Arabia, Mecca is now surrounded by the best facilities in the world for both living and tourism purposes.
Now Mecca has the best hotels in the world for pilgrims and local inhabitants, shopping malls, and the seven towering minarets transforming the old city into a modern mecca.
How much does a trip to Mecca cost?
Muslim pilgrimage required Muslims to travel to Mecca from all around the world making the Hajj ritual rather costly. After your arrival in Mecca, your stay at the hotels in Mecca & Medina and constant travel in and out of the city of Mecca and the great mosque increases the budget. The travel packages include stays in 5-star hotels in mecca. which costs a minimum of $800 to 900 per person for a month’s stay in Mecca, and increasing travel prices make it costly day by day.
What is the best time to visit Mecca?
The best time to visit the holy places of Mecca and Medina to perform pilgrimage is in the holy month of Dhu al hijja or in the Holy month of Ramadan. You can also visit it at anytime during the year since covid restrictions has been eased.
With all the infrastructural growth and increasing tour facilities you must be wondering how you can budget your trip to mecca? Here’s
Tips to budget your Mecca Trip
Here are a few tips that will help you to budget your trip to the holy city of Mecca…
- Choose the best affordable Tour lecture guide for your trip because if you are not hiring one you’ll probably find yourself missing a lot on your trip to mecca be it for normal tour or both the hajj and umrah. Heritage Tours provide best lectured tours in Saudia Arabia.
- If your budget is tight. Ensure to do proper costing of all the things you are going to spend your money on. Try to not spend as much on outings, food and excessive shopping while you stay in Mecca if you want to travel with family.
- Large families with couple of earners that travel together in Mecca are more likely to save money than people who prefer traveling alone because it allows them to share cost of travel. It would be advisable for you to keep some money in cash especially if you are going alone.
- Pilgrims in Mecca value the convenience of staying at a 5-star hotel near Mecca with dependable air conditioning and high-quality amenities especially due to the hot weather. You may treat yourself to a greater degree of comfort and enjoy your Hajj or Umrah experience even more if you spend wisely.
- If you want to travel to Mecca try to book early in advance, and hunt for exceptional bargains. Early bookings help you keep yourself prepared for any last minute change of plans or trip.
- You have a lot of leeway in the “shopping” category of your budget – but be cautious, heavy shoppers may have to pay extra baggage fees on the way home from your Mecca trip!
- Hotel prices in Mecca, especially at higher-end hotels in Mecca, sometimes include a big breakfast, and you may also book half-board or even full-board package offers while traveling to Mecca.
- Don’t spend on wifi or the internet as many hotels in Mecca now offer free WiFi and you can get great deals on prepaid SIM cards while in Mecca.
- You can purchase a sacrifice coupon in advance or after arriving Mecca, with the fee dependent on the sort of animal slaughtered. Its advisable to keep enough in your
What is the best website for travel deals in Mecca?
You can visit https://heritagetours.co/ if you want to find the best tour deals in Mecca. The packages include everything that you need for best memorable trip.
Cost of living in Mecca?
Its easy to bear cost of living in comparison with other first world countries. A minimum of $800 to 900 per person per month. rent excluding.
How can I book a trip to Mecca?
You can visit any reliable flight available. However for city tour visit Heritage Tours webpage to experience an amazing Mecca tour.
Best Tour Guide in Mecca and Medina?
Heritage Tour provides the most cost-efficient guided tours in Mecca & Medina. With Guided Lecture Tours, 4* or 5* Hotels, Breakfast, Airconditioned Transport, Ground Transfers, and all the required entrance Fees included.